Saturday, May 30, 2009

Washington Memorial Chapel

I've always been keen on American History, particularly the revolutionary war era. I suppose it's because I grew up in Philadelphia which, back then at least, was a very important city. Having worked at the Academy of Natural Sciences for several years made me aware of the contributions to science and culture that Philadelphia gave the new country and gave me cause to be proud of my city.

At Valley Forge there are many memorials and tributes to Washington and his men. Having spent one of the harshest winters in living memory there, I'm not sure that they would have very fond memories of the place, but that notwithstanding, all of it is very tastefully done.

Standing in rememberance of Washington, his men and all that they fought for, the Washington Memorial Chapel is a beautiful work of architecture. While it is a fully operating Chapel with Episcopalian services on Sundays, the Chapel is open to all.

Washington Memorial Chapel page


During a trip back east to visit my brother at State College, PA, we made a trip to Valley Forge. I hadn't brought any of my photo gear, but he was kind enough to offer me the use of his old N60 Nikon film camera and a couple of rolls of expired TMax400.

I shot off both rolls of film. Here's one of several final shots that I liked, printed on Fotospeed Lith paper, in LD20 Lith developer.


There's a lot to explore at Valley Forge. The Chapel is beautiful but if you go, don't neglect the other parts of the park. Oh, and watch out for the deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment